Summer is the season of Pitta. Pitta Dosha represents the elements of fire and water. The qualities are: hot, light, sharp, oily, pungent, penetrating, intense, acidic. Pitta controls digestion – it is the fire of metabolism (representing how we digest food) and the fire of the mind (how we digest information). It is the dosha of transformation, of summertime, of the hours of the day between 10 and 2. Pitta governs the eyes, the skin, metabolism and assimilation, desire and spirituality.
If you are a person with a Pitta constitution you generally have a medium, athletic build, you may have red or bald and thinning hair, a healthy radiant complexion, strong appetite and digestion, abundant energy, ample drive and motivation, a powerful intellect and a fiery personality.
If you are experiencing feelings of impatience or irritability, a demanding or critical nature, perfectionism, skin rashes, ulcers, thinning hair or hot flashes you may have a Pitta imbalance.
As summertime is the season of Pitta, it is coming for this Dosha to become imbalanced. To counteract an abundance of Pitta, we want to invite foods, activities and environments that are sweet, cooling and stabilizing. Here are a few simple lifestyle tweaks:
- Cool colors such as white, light blue, light green, light gray.
- Essential oils such as jasmine, rose, ylang ylang, lavender, peppermint, sandalwood.
- Spend time in nature.
- Be by water.
- Bathe in moonlight.
- Keep plants in your home.
- Make equal times for rest and play.
- Do not overwork.
- Foods that are cooling and sweet such as: Cucumbers, mint, grapes, melon, avocado, asparagus, sweet potatoes, green leafy vegetables, cinnamon, coriander, cumin, mint and fennel.
- Avoid spicy foods, alcohol and coffee.
- Replace coffee with CCF tea (equal parts cumin, coriander and fennel).
- Yin Yoga (quiet, still postures)
- Metta Bhavana or Loving Kindness meditation
- Shitali or Shitkari and Nadi Shodhana Pranayama.
- Daily Abhyanga or self massage with coconut oil.
- Nurture friendships.
- Laugh often.